Thursday, August 13, 2009

I Am That Mom

I had one of those moments of realization today. Two of them, actually, about the same thing. Katherine has been a little under the weather, and she was feeling a little hot, so I went to grab the thermometer. On the way back out to take her temp, I thought, "Wow, I'm a MOM. I am in charge of this kid, and I'm her caretaker. I'm the one who is taking her temp and making sure she's not running a fever, etc." Of course, I know this to be the case, but you know how sometimes you have a moment of looking at yourself from the outside and thinking, "How did this happen? This is weird." It was one of those moments.

Then, shortly thereafter, the commercial for "Neo To Go" came on. You know, the one where some off-camera kid yells during a fall at the playground, and three moms sitting on a bench nearby all whip out their quick-draw sprayable Neosporin. I had a fleeting thought of comparison that those women were all older than me, and then it hit me that we're probably of an age, or at least close to it. I am in the same phase of life that they are, even though my kids are a bit younger. Furthermore, I totally have Neo To Go in my diaper bag, given Katherine's propensity for scraped knees. I am that mom.

Dang, y'all, when did I get to be such a grown-up?

1 comment:

Amy said...

YES YES~ I have soooo had those moments! it's a weird realization, isn't it? probably because, or me, I don't feel any different then I did when I was 16... or 21 for that matter... lol! But hopefully I act a little more mature...phew!
But yes, I sooo get that!

And that commercial cracks me up.. whoever wrote it, has got me tagged. I was at Walgreens and the the Neo go stuff, and though.. I need that! LOL!

Hugs.. Amy