Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Apoocalypse Now

I took a meal to a friend with a new baby this morning, then stopped by church on the way home to drop off some clothes from our recent closet purge for the ministry to the needy & homeless. As the girls and I headed toward home, Jillian was quite fussy. I pulled over to check on her before we got on the freeway. Her diaper may have had a little something, but it didn't smell stinky, so I figured it could wait until we got home, since there wasn't a good place to stop and naptime was fast approaching. About halfway through the drive home, she seemed to calm down. I even asked Katherine if Jillian was asleep, but she wasn't. When we got home, I went to get K out of her car seat, and I looked across at J. At first glance, I thought she had barfed. There was orange, chunky gunk on her face, hands, arms, etc. Apparently, K hadn't noticed this, or she would have sounded the alarm. Upon closer inspection, I could see that J had executed one of her phenomenally talented sideways booty aims, and had, instead, had an impressive diaper blowout, the contents of which were now covering her upper extremities. Yeah. Cue rushing, bathing, scouring, crying, and praying against stomach ills and/or pinkeye. Oh, and throwing the carseat top pad into the washing machine. I don't want to know how much of that mess got ingested.

Good times in Mommyland today. At least I have a strong stomach.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Wait! So all that garbage on her face and arms was poop! HOLY COW! You are an amazing mother, probably better that I will ever be :o) And Patrick for sure would have jumped out of the car puking, leaving me to clean up something like that. Oh my gosh, what a story.

ummKatherine said...

You know, Andrea, when you finally decide to embark on the crazy roller-coaster that is motherhood, I am sure you'll find that you will rise to the challenge of dealing with whatever crap comes your way, both literally and figuratively. Robert definitely has the weaker stomach for this sort of thing (perhaps like Patrick), but he still deals with it if he has to, and so will Patrick. You just suck it up and deal with it, because there's no other option. And, you get great stories out of it! :)

I have no doubt that you'll both be excellent parents, when the time comes.

Rebecca said...

Pauline, I must say I proud of you for NOT puking in the process. The realization of WHAT that was may have been just enough to cause some serious "roll-up" in me!
-Becky